Appexchange is a cloud computing marketplace for installing on-demand business applications( free or paid) in the Salesforce platform. Appexchange solves complications for all types of businesses with customized applications and streamlines the entire process from purchase to delivery. Different data types can be integrated automatically into the salesforce functionalities with Appexchange to reduce challenges within an enterprise.
Installation of an App on Appexchange
There are several compatibility factors, which must be checked before installation of an app in the Salesforce platform.
Edition- The app can only be integrated if the component is compatible with the Salesforce edition.
External services- If the custom app has reference to an external service like google maps, access to google maps will be necessary for integration.
Test drive- The functionality of an app can be reviewed by taking a test drive before installation.
Developer edition- The desired app can be installed into a developer edition to extend its functionality and create, edit or delete records which was not possible with a test drive only.
Common problems while publishing app on Appexchange
Companies may face several issues while integrating Appexchange with Salesforce.
Some common integration challenges are-
- Data mapping– Mismatched data and field types make data mapping difficult. To make the coding process easier, the data should be mapped in the right field type or converted into a target app.
- Data migration– Storage of data depends on Salesforce edition. If an external application has duplicate data, it will get transferred into salesforce. This can be overcome by out of box features and defining a custom code like access to relevant fields while migrating data.
- Bad data– It is necessary to remove obsolete data from external system to prevent accumulation of unnecessary information in salesforce.
- Real-time Integration– Importing or exporting data from salesforce may not always be real-time and the data may not be immediately synced as expected.
- Creating Auto-ID– Salesforce automatically generates ID for every imported external record. If the external application already has an ID, then salesforce has to manage two sets of IDs. This can be avoided by configuring and validating the external field to prevent overruling of external IDs.
- Duplicate data– Entry of duplicate data into salesforce is a common challenge faced by companies. External IDs match the values of salesforce user records and integrated data to remove duplicate data.
- Governor limits on data– Salesforce has multitenant architecture. The salesforce APIs impose governor limits to determine data access. Exceeding these limits may result in run time data errors in salesforce.
- Free/Paid Apps– Appexchange consists of both free and paid apps. It is necessary to identify the app that suits a particular business need. Choosing the correct app makes the integration process easier and saves time.
- Data validation-Data validation is important to integrate data from an external field into a salesforce standard object. The data from external fields should be in compliance with the validation rules while being integrated with salesforce. Any change made to the data at the external field should be coordinated with the custom objects in salesforce.
- Object relationship– It is necessary to select the right salesforce object, which is compatible with the external data as inadequacies may affect integration, and fail to resolve business complications.
It is essential to publish proper Appexchange applications to meet business requirements and enhance business productivity. Appexchange has custom features, which help in integrating with third-party systems and maintains data consistency and security.